Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Levinia's Growing Post #4!!!!

Question 1: Formulas. We’ve learned how to write algebraic equations in the form of mx + b = y. Convert these two sentences into algebraic equations using the above formula.

mx + b = y

m- This is the coefficient. It is teamed with the variable which is x
x- This is the variable. It represents numbers. They vary in that we can substitute
a it for one or more numbers.
b- This is the constant. It never changes in an expression
y- This is the answer or the solution of a formula.


Sentence 1: Scott is 2 years older than Donald who turns 12 on June 21st 2006. Write this sentence in the format of mx + b = y, then convert it into an expression which allows us to figure out the age of Scott.

Donald + 2 = Scott
D + 2 = S

11 + 2 = S
11 + 2= 13

- Donald's age which is eleven plus two years is equal to thirteen.
- Scott is 2 years older than Donald so he will be 13 years old. While Donald is 11 years old.


Sentence 2: Elizabeth has $200 in her savings account. She makes $40 every two weeks babysitting for her next door neighbours. If Elizabeth saves all of her money solve for how much money she will have in one year.

200 + 40n= x
200 + 40 ( 24 )= x
200 + 960 = x
1160 = x
or
x = 1160

Question 2: Creation. You need to create two questions for your classmates that cover different concepts (ex: T-Charts, patterns, equations, graphs etc.) that you have learned in this unit on Al
gebra. You then need to show how to solve the questions. Your mark will be based upon the level of question’s difficulty, and the effort put into your answer.

FIND THE MISSING STEPS.


Step 1: 2
Step 2: 4
Step 3: 8
Step 4: ?
Step 5:
?


The pattern of this one is like its root number (did I say that right?). Step one has 2 flowers so you mutliply it by itself then you get 4. So for Step 3 it has 8 flowers... multiply it by 8 then you get 64.




Step 4: 64
Step 5: 4096 ('o')




Step # 1: 2

Step # 2: 4

Step # 3: 8

Step # 4: 64

Step # 5: 4096










THIS GRAPH EXPLAINS YOU IF THE FLOWERS ARE INCREASING OR DECREASING. SO OBVIOUSLY THE GRAPH IS INCREASING.

Question 3: Reflection. You need to look back at the chart that we filled out during the first day of the unit. This is the chart where you coloured a topic red, yellow or green. You now need to pick one concept that you coloured yellow or red and reflect in words what new skill/idea that you have learned on this topic.


Can I use in my words to create my algebraic formula?
BEFORE- red
AFTER- yellow

When I read that question, I thought that I;ve heard it before but I've never learned about it before. I know what algebra is but I can't make my own algebraic formula yet. In the middle of the algebra unit, I started getting how to make one. Until at the end, I get it!...but I still need to review more about it for the exam. That's all thank you!


Can I use an algebraic formula that I created to solve an unknown (n)?
BEFORE- red
AFTER- yellow

When I was thinking about algebra...I couldn't remember anything about algebraic formulas. When I was in grade 6 we learned about leaner equations but I didn't really understand it taht time. In grade 7 when we started the Algebra unit, I learned a lot more about it. I learned how to make an algebraic formula.


Question 4: Preparing for the final exam. You need to think about the year that has past in mathematics and decide which topic is your weakest, and what you need to learn during class review in order to prepare yourself for the final exam. It is not enough to say fractions, instead pick your weakest area of fractions, say the subtraction of fractions, and give an example of what you don’t understand.

My weakest area- ALGEBRA!
In algebra I had a hard time solving word problems. It's like when there's a paragraph containing clues and ways how to solve that problem. It gave me a hard time understanding them and making the formula but when the problem is really easy I find it really easy to create the formula. So during class review I will spend more time in Algebra and other topics that I need to refresh in my mind.

I will post an example of a problem when I get my Algebra test back! ^_^




Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified Tagalog/Filipino

1 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Blogger Mr. Reece said...

were your two seperate question that you had to create a T-chart to find the missing step and then graph this information? Your question was not that clear so I am not sure exactly what the questions are which makes it very hard to answer them.

As well you should use 26 instead of 24 as there are 52 weeks in a year, not 48

Your mark is 21/25 as you lost 3 for not stating the second unique question.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home